Looking good and feeling good are two great side effects of living a healthy lifestyle, and we all want that, right? Whether you're due to have a cholesterol test because high cholesterol runs in your family; or you simply want to live more healthily, we've got you covered. Read on to find our five top tips to keeping up a healthy lifestyle.
Why is maintaining a healthy lifestyle important?
Everything we do from the company we keep, to the exercise we do, to the food we eat, will affect our mental and physical wellbeing. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can go a long way to improving our health and warding off illness from the common cold to cancer.
Six Ways To Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle
There are six key ways that you can maintain a healthy lifestyle and help to improve your everyday wellbeing.
1. Be consistent. Whatever lifestyle changes you choose to make, keep them up. It could be a 30 minute meditation to slow down and de-stress which you do daily. Or perhaps you start meal planning before doing your weekly food shop, to make sure you pack in those healthy options. Just be consistent in maintaining them.
2. Drink plenty of water. This is imperative for the health of your organs, your skin and even your hair. Making sure you drink a lot of water doesn’t just quench your thirst, it hydrates every part of your body. Your brain function will improve, your skin will look healthier, and even your hair will be more full of life.
3. Keep track of your numbers. A simple blood test can help you to understand your cholesterol levels, triglycerides and assess your general state of health, so you can make changes to achieve a healthier lifestyle. Make sure to schedule regular appointments with your GP or healthcare professional and to follow their advice.
4. Fuel up with a balanced diet. Maintaining a healthy, balance diet doesn’t mean you have to give up all your favourite treats. It just means you need to ensure you’re balancing it out with plenty of healthy meals too!
Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit – 5 a day is a thing!
Switch out fizzy drink for fruit juice. For example, you can add vitamin C to your diet with orange juice and fibre with apple juice.
Fish is high in protein and an important provider of omega-3.
Reduce the intake of saturated fats. Instead, opt for snacking on nuts which contain healthier non-saturated fats.
5. Make sure you're exercising. Exercise can be an important step in both physical and mental health care. It can help you to feel more energised, help to clear your mind and de-stress and of course improve over-all health by keeping fit. You don’t have to even leave the house with these five exercises you can do at home.
6. Get some rest. Being healthy doesn’t mean spending hours in the gym each day or pushing yourself too hard. You need to refuel and reboot with plenty of rest and good sleep at night. Make sure you listen to your body especially if you're feeling under the weather.
Whether you've had a worrying cholesterol test or simply want to make better lifestyle choices, these tips should help! With just a few small changes you can lead a much healthier lifestyle resulting in looking and feeling fabulous.